5/13/2010

healthy dinners

While menu planning for the week, I wanted to work in the beautiful red quinoa I purchased from the farmer's market.  A friend recently told me about Heidi Swanson's cookbook, Super Natural CookingWhile I have yet to purchase the book, I am interested in Heidi's story and happened upon some great recipes on her cooking blog: 101 Cookbooks.

I searched the 101 site for quinoa recipes and decided on Delicious Big Bowl Quinoa.  Sure, it didn't call for the red variety, AND I didn't have fresh asparagus, (shock!) so I improvised a bit.  I also decided to mix it all (quinoa, onions, potatoes, toasted walnuts & garlic) together rather than serve it like in the photo.  Hey, it's enough that I get it on the table ....... I have to make it look pretty, too?!

As I get into the preparation of the meal, I begin to worry about what my children will think about it.  One, it is meatless.  Two, it didn't smell so great since I over-toasted the walnuts.  Three, I didnt' have a back up.  Oh well, I decided to set the bowl on the table and hope for the best.  




The best didn't happen



Don't worry; I also served some broccoli and cauliflower, which everyone loved.  Throw in some bread with butter & honey and call it done.  No one left the table hungry.



* For the record, Maddi ate 2 servings, Ben picked out the potatoes, Dave declared it 'earthy' and I concluded it was something that tasted better the more you ate it.  Ellie?  well, let's just say hers got pushed around the plate quite a bit.

2 comments:

Football and Fried Rice said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Football and Fried Rice said...

maybe ellie would have like it more had you actually HAD the asparagus :)

heh.

looks good to me. you can cook healthy for me anytime!