I absolutely love bandwagons. So, when one goes by and catches my eye, I make a run for it and hop on.
This particular bandwagon is super special because it involves my favorite subject . . . . . food.
Every Friday that I feel like it I will post a recipe and include carb counts for all the D-folks joining in.
• 3 medium leeks, cut in half and sliced
• 2 cups diced fresh mushrooms (I diced these very small and even my mushroom-hating boy didn't find 'em!)
• 1 cup red bell pepper
• 1 cup diced celery
• 1/3 cup all purpose flour
• 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
• 1/2 tsp kosher salt
• 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
• 1 (14.5oz) can chicken broth
• 3/4 cup half-and-half
• 3 cups diced cooked chicken
• 1/2 cup frozen peas
• 2 Tbsp dry white wine (or extra chicken broth)
• 2 cups 1/2-inch sourdough bread cubes
• 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook leeks, mushrooms, celery and red pepper until tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in flour, rosemary, salt and black pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Stir in broth and half-and-half. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly, about 5 minutes. Stir in chicken, peas and wine/broth. Spoon into an ungreased 2-quart casserole dish.
Toss bread cubes with Parmesan cheese and remaining 3 Tbsp. olive oil. Sprinkle evenly on top of casserole.
Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes until casserole is bubbly around edges and bread cubes are golden.
Nutrition Facts: based on 6 adult serving sizes = 400 calories, 18g fat & 31g carbs. I made this in our 9x13 pan and divided the portions by 8. Much more kid friendly sizing)