If I could touch that horn, I would wish for a cure for T1D.
If Ellie's T1D was cured, my brain would no longer be filled with the background noise of the ever-present disease.
The high pitched barrage of questions looping through my brain would be replaced with the sweet sounds of anything-but-T1D-related-questions.
Questions, asked by Ellie just this past week, like:
1. When will I be old enough to be a babysitter?
2. When can you sign me up for horse riding lessons?
3. Why can't I carry the baby from the living room to the kitchen?
4. Why can't I have ice cream before bed?
5. Why do we have to change my POD tonight instead of tomorrow?
Answers I gave to Ellie:
1. After you take the American Red Cross babysitting course.
2. I'll put that on my list of things to do.
3. Because he is squirmy.
4. Because we are out.
5. Just because.
Answers (and more questions) I had a conversation about in my head:
1. Babysitting? As in watching other people's children? As in being the responsible one in charge? N-E-V-E-R. What if you have a low and cant get to your 'sugar?' What if . . . . way too many questions to address this request.
2. Riding a horse? Controlling a horse? Falling off a horse? Are you cRaZy? What if you have a low while riding?
3. Because you just checked your blood sugar and you are low. You might drop him. How are you ever going to babysit if you don't know to treat yourself before you pick up a baby?
4. You can't have ice cream before bed when you have a blood sugar of 233. I am going to lie to you and tell you we are out so I can find a more properly balanced snack before heading off to dreamland.
5. Because the Apidra we are now using tends to putter out before the full 3 days of your POD. I don't want to have to poke you more often, but this insulin works better overall, so changing a POD more often is worth it. Right? Won't this process give her a better A1C?
I was happy to let Ellie carry this little cutie (not mine! just watching him for a friend) AFTER she treated the 47 blood sugar.
How will she do this on her own ?????????????????