1/11/2010

traditions

I am scared of traditions. Not any one in particular; just the thought of creating them. What if I forget to to it every ........ well whenever 'it' is supposed to happen. Will the traditions I create for my family live up to the ones I grew up with? Do I want to repeat my childhood traditions or come up with all new ones? Mix and match? I just can't take the pressure!!!!!

If I can't handle the pressure, then my family goes withOUT traditions, and that idea is NOT okay with me.

This year I vow to conquer my fears and create some things we will do in a repetitive nature as a means to remind ourselves of the occasion and being together.

In fact, I already have one such thing already in action. May I introduce:

POTD: Sonic for Slushie Monday!!!!!


In the beginning is was "Slushie Friday", but we had to tweak it a bit. Not all traditions start off just right and fantastic. Right?

It was the first Friday following the first day of school, last August. I wanted a way to celebrate the end of the kids' first week, so when I picked them all up from school I announced we were going to Sonic for slushies. Not only does Sonic serve some of the best icy treats, but they also offer 1/2 price drinks from 2-4pm. Treat for the kids and a treat for Mama's pocketbook!

I didn't intend for the slushies to be a regular treat. I figured the kids would know it was a one time thing just for grins and giggles. But then the following week when Thursday night rolled around, I found myself bribing the children with another trip if they would wake up without complaint and get ready for school ON TIME.

B-I-N-G-O. Folks, we have a winner.

I am not completely certain when our slushy day changed to Monday, but I do remember why. It had something to do with the Sunday night grouchies. Whining and dragging their feet saying they didn't want to go to school on Monday. Mondays were so looooong and boooooring.

I suggested we change our routine and have "Slushie Monday" instead. Uhm, it worked! The kids were thrilled to have something to look forward to and I patted myself on the back for such a creative diversion.

So, there you have it; a tradition based on bribery. At $.53 a bribe, however, it is worth the mommy guilt of how it began ............ out of desperation.

I hope my children always remember our "Slushie Mondays".

No comments: