4/18/2010

lunch

I love salads.  Love, lOve, loVe, lovE fresh green salads.  Now that we are focusing on real foods in our home,  I have a big bowl of salad most every day for lunch.  I like my salads to be as healthy and nutrient dense as they can be, often containing 3 types of greens.  I have grown quite fond of 'my salad', so when I am out of an ingredient I HAVE to run ot the store before I can continue to chop.  This happened today and I felt silly going to the store for 2 things, but since I cut up enough veggies for 3-4 days worth of salads, it was worth the effort. 

Okay, okay.  I know you are sitting on the edge of your seat waiting to hear what goes into my daily salad.  If you promise to oooooohhh and aaaaahhhh, I will tell you.

Always:
  • Spinach
  • Romaine
  • Pre-mix bag of Brocolli slaw
  • Green Onions
Sometimes:
  • Red or Green Bell Peppers
  • Other Mixed Greens when on sale

This mixture goes into a ziploc bag in the fridge veggie drawer.  When I am ready for lunch, I dump a large portion into my bowl and to that I add seseme seeds, feta or parmesan cheese and just enough blue cheese dressing to give it zip.  Too much and I have negated the health benefits of the veggies.  The dressing is an accessory ingredient not meant to take center stage.

The seseme seeds and cheese add the protein, so I usually don't add chicken or eggs to my mix.

There you have it.  My favorite salad.  It may not be the healthiest, highest protein or lowest calorie recipe, but I it is a far cry better than the leftovers or fast food I used to dine on for my midday meal.  WYKBYDB (When you know better you do better), right?

What do YOU love to have for lunch?

1 comment:

BakkeChaos said...

I love when you bring your salad to my house for my lunch! :)