7/09/2009

happiness



It kind of sneaks up on you. Not an announcement over the loud speaker or the leading story on the front page of the newspaper.

For me, happiness is a sigh of contentment followed by "oh, what do I get to do next?"

I keep thinking of that insurance commercial where the people are in different stages of their life and are shown standing on a red dot and stating: "....... yeah, I'm there." I need to find a red dot rug and carry it around with me so I can stand on it to remind me where I am at right now. Because once you are happy, it can disappear out of sight in an instance. You have to cultivate it and care for it and form a symbiotic relationship with it.

Why all the happy speak? Well, I just told you. I need to write about my happiness as a way to keep it around a little longer. You know the lyrics by Johnny Mercer, You've got to accentuate the positive; eliminate the negative; and latch on to the affirmative; don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Hokey dokey. Here are some reasons to remind myself why I am happy:

- I painted a room today ...... while all three kiddos were home with me.
- Ben & Ellie had their annual check-up at the Dr.'s and they both received a clean bill of health.
- Coffee
- Library books

I could go on and on, but the point of my story is to prove happiness for me is all about the little triumphs. There was a time where I did not believe happiness, long-term-stick-to-your-ribs happiness, was something I could have. Something I even deserved. I am HAPPY to report I was wrong.

No comments: