6/12/2010

free shower

This week I turned the volume of my alarm on LOUD so I could get up and out the door for my weekly fix visit to the Farmer's Market.  This week Rebecca braved the torrential downpour with me as we floated from booth to booth.  I felt sooooooo bad for the vendors who lost their produce and products to the nasty weather.  Everyone get out there next week and buy fresh, buy local to make up for the losses!!!!!!


The rain didn't stop me from stocking up on:

  • Eggs (BGF)
  • Feta (RDA)
  • Green Onions
  • Rainbow Swiss Chard (BGF)
  • Asparagus (Ankeny Market)
  • Garlic Scapes (BGF)
  • Peas
  • Confetti Quinoa (Paul's)
  • Blue Cheese Crumbles for Sara (Maytag)
  • Sunshine Granola (Paul's)
  • Honey (Rinehart Family Farms)
  • Kohlrabi (Ankeny Market)


What will I DO with everything?  Glad you asked.

- The eggs will appear in baked goods as well as either a frittata or breakfast burritos.

- The feta, swiss chard and green onions will glorify my daily lunch salads.  I may also use the greens to make green smoothies.

- The bowl of peas will serve as a side dish to dinner tonight, as long as I can keep everyone from grabbing them as they walk through the kitchen.

- Garlic Scapes.  We will try this fun green in a pesto and serve it over noodles.  Maybe even as a veggie dip. Right now they are in water and adorning my kitchen table as a centerpiece

- The confetti Quinoa will be cooked in chicken broth and served with grilled pork or grilled chicken.

- The Maytag blue cheese crumbles will be inhaled by Sara; my guess by Thursday ;)

- Sunshine Granola will be my little treat to munch on throughout the week.  Hear that, family?????

- Honey is my new sweetener.  I am trying to move away from refined white sugar and artificial sweeteners.  Loving the taste it is adding to my breads!

- The kohlrabi is for my hubby, who loves to slice it and eat it raw or dipped in a little blue cheese salad dressing.

Are you hungry yet?


1 comment:

Football and Fried Rice said...

I LOVE Kohlrabi - dang it, should had you snag some of that for me too! lol!! I promise in a few weeks, I will make it back down there...

IF it doesn't rain ;)