5/17/2011

moving target

Moving Target = according to Macmillan Dictionary . . . as a phrase:  an idea or situation that continuously changes as you are trying to deal with it. 

Or, in our house:

Specifically, Ellie's blood sugar numbers are the moving target and insulin is the pointed arrow.

Some days the acting pancreas (me, hubby or a well informed friend) is able to take all the variables into account:
  • activity
  • carb intake
  • weather
  • emotional status (crazy excited or even steven)
  • current growth rate (is she in a spurt or lull?)
  • carb type (not all are alike!)
  • current carb:insulin ratio
  • age of insulin
With all of the above considered and properly dosed, will the acting pancreas be able to hit the moving target?




Only a prick of the finger and a drop of blood onto the meter strip will reveal. 

3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . . = will the number be in range?  (80-150)

If yes, then the acting pancreas may do a victory dance.



If the meter reveals a number outside of the range, the acting pancreas may throw a hissy fit.


Both are completely acceptable reactions, but the acting pancreas must get over it quickly because this scenario will play out multiple times a day, every day, until a cure for T1D is discovered.



Until then, Ellie's blood sugar numbers will continue to be a moving target.  



May I (or the acting pancreas) always shoot with Love, lOve, loVe, lovE.

12 comments:

The DL said...

Interesting, the weather effects numbers as well?

Sarah said...

all you need is love! All together now!

Ahhh...

I know what you mean and actually last night we had the talk about if the pump was worth it for the hundredth time because we just found out that the o-rings on our current batch of reservoirs are bad and they were leaking which explains the last two week of unexplainable highs! GRRRRR! I thought he was having a growth spurt of this cold was getting the best of him, then bam I took a closer look.
Anyhow, I guess that sometimes we just have to celebrate the little things, right?
Hope today is a good one

Liz said...

I loved this post! A moving target...great medaphor:)

Denise aka Mom of Bean said...

Very cute...and great analogy!
I think the archer needs to be on a trampoline, though, because I'm never that focused (no matter how hard I try!) when I'm shooting for that target!!!

Stephanie said...

SO TRUE! Totally a moving target...and you feel such jubilation when you hit it right on the bullseye. :)

Amy@Diapeepees said...

Amy, Can I just say I love the enthusiasm and creativity behind all your posts. Great!

Unknown said...

Smiling...every post around the DOC is making me smile tonight!!! :) Your creativity astounds me my friend. I love the bow and arrow used while in handstand by the legs and toes...now that is a telling picture fo' sho'.

xoxo

Andrea said...

Loved this post!!! This acting pancreas does a happy dance, too!

Heidi / D-Tales said...

Great post! It is SO true! I love the last sentence, too. :)

"Bummer of a birthmark, Hal." Ha ha!

Thanks for the sweet comment you left on my blog. I feel the same kinship. So happy to count you among my friends, even if we've never met IRL! I think you're awschum! :)

sky0138 said...

LOVE this post! and I am a HUGE fan of the cartoonist who did the "Bummer of a birthmark, Hal"...they always crack me up. :o) for some reason I can not for the life of me remember his name....arghh...sleep deprived D-Momma moment...lol

Natalie said...

That is so true. I try very hard to do my happy dances and hissy fits internally, but I am often way too obvious for my little one. She picks up on my reaction(s) all the time and then stresses too. Glad to know I'm not the only one who struggles with the day-to-day moving target.

Keep up the good work fellow-acting-pancreas!

Lori- The Incredible Mr. Sweets said...

Amy,

this was great! Wow, do I feel like this often. Moving child is moving target!